Monday 15 November 2010

experimenting with the cd front cover


i am creating the cd front cover as it will be used in the advertisement. when i have finished and chosen one, i will send it over to sofie and jack where they will create their parts of the cd cover, we split the job up so that we can all experiment with the print.

original photo's
It is hard to tell here that jordan is smoking as the smoke hasn't been caught on the camera very well.

Therefore i took photo's of jordan with the cigarette in his mouth, although it is not as subtle as the smoke, i feel it works well in portraying a "bad boy" persona.

All photos edited using a black and white filter, with alterations to the brightness and contrast.


Here I have positioned the face so that all you can see is the eyes and nose. I like this as it creates an almost mysterious connotation, as if we are taking away Hewitson's identity. There is a lot of attitude created by Jordan's eyes so to focus on them creates a fairly powerful image, as if he is dominant and has control over the audience. This make connotations to "big mouth strikes again" as he is arrogant and self centred, which we can see here by his uncaring and tough facial features. I came across this positioning by chance as when i uploaded it onto photoshop this is how it fit into square. I used the fonts "Lane" for the album name and "tall, dark and handsome" (TDH) for the artist, i think they work well although i prefer 'Lane' as 'TDH' is a fairly skinny width.



Here I have created a more obvious "bad boy attitude" as teenagers smoking generally create negative connotations and support the negative teen stereotypes created by adults. I have used the same fonts as before and changed the photo. 

Here i have taken into consideration the rule of thirds by not having jordan's face central to the cover, but over to the right hand side, i like this however i prefer the test's of him with his face in the middle as it portrays a more arrogant interpretation of Hewitson's personality, as it connotes to him being self centered.

Here i altered the font of "hewitson River" to see whether a wider font would look more effective.

I had to alter the album name slightly to so that it fit better, i will discuss this with the group, and if not can always change it back, however it still creates the message.

I will take some more photo's tomorrow when we are on location, as Jordan will be dressed in Hewitson River costume, however i will take these poses into consideration, and compare which set of images work better on the whole. At the moment the top one if my favourite, so i think if i recreate it with Jordan wearing the trilby it may tie in more with the video.


experimenting with brushes

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you Lily, I think the one where you can just see his eyes on the top of the blog is my favourite. I don't like his mouth in the other posts. tehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite book cover ever is very similar

    http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1176323836l/613197.jpg

    I tried to do something similar (and failed) with my tutor board pics. Showing off if you pop into L4 and see the picture of Becca you'll see what I mean. Whether this is something you can (or want) to emulate with Jordan I don't know. WIll you need an element of mischief in his eyes to reflect the video's narrative?

    ReplyDelete