Wednesday 24 November 2010

Rotoscoping Ideas

I was thinking that I should probably add some form of texture behind the animation to give it more depth and also for it to just look more interesting than a plain black background. I thought that a old paper texture would work quite well, as it would then look like the animation was drawn on the paper. Eventually I settled on the texture on the right, though I couldn't work with it being white, as the the drawing's wouldn't show up, also it wouldn't reflect the nighttime mise-en-scene that I was intending.


In Sony Vegas I applied a Chroma Key to remove the black from the original rotoscoping, and then turned the contrast up to make the animation brighter. I then put the paper image in the layer below, turned it black and white, then turned the brightness down and the contrast up. However I then had to invert the colours (it was looking weird the other way i.e. pixelly and awful). I think that it looks a lot more interesting than a plain black background, and I'm hoping to do some faux-paper animation alongside the rotoscoping for one section, where the sun rises and the moon disappears, though I'll have to see how it pans out.

5 comments:

  1. i really like the parchment style paper:) i hope the colours dont clash with the contrast of the black and white but i think it will be ok :D this is a really good way of making it look vintage which compliments the rest of the video :D well done owain! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I'm gonna use colours anymore, but if I do they'll be very desaturated anyway, not like that picture I before :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh cool :D yeah i had to desaturate on the digipak, its all coming together :D xx

    ReplyDelete